Call for votes: Developer Membership Board restaffing

Jani Monoses jani at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 31 17:08:22 UTC 2013

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 09:06:31 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> On Thursday, January 31, 2013 09:23:39 AM Jani Monoses wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 16:22:58 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
>> > Hello,
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> > That's certainly true, but I think this is something that the DMB has
>> > a duty to correct.  Frankly, I think there's no reason that Adam and
>> > Björn couldn't have been ready for upload rights by January, *if* the
>> > DMB's
>>
>> I must ask the same question as the Debian maintainer who endorsed
>> Björn's application: 'Are you kidding? :)'
>> I never assumed for a moment that he had not long been an uploader of
>> LibreOffice.
>>
>> I think the DMB members did their job well by following the existing
>> guidelines for such approval procedures and I also think those
>> guidelines are in need of adjustments.
>
> What's in the current guidelines that needs changing?

I am only talking about PPU rights below, I think the current process for
getting broader rights is ok.

There is too much coupling between Ubuntu membership and upload rights.
While there are many developers who are both uploaders and contribute
broadly to other non-technical aspects of the project, I think PPU should
be seen as a focused technical role closer to that of traditional
upstreams.

I'd also argue that endorsements from people who had sponsored and worked
closely with the applicant in the past should have a greater weight than
they apparently do and the process should not be about interview style
packaging related questions.

Jani