Avoiding fragmentation with a rolling release

Mario Limonciello superm1 at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 28 23:15:38 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 5:07 PM, Loïc Minier <loic.minier at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013, Alex Chiang wrote:
> > If you want to avoid the daily grind, press the close button when
> > update-manager fires. Or set the 'check for updates' frequency to
> > monthly. I think the intended audience for monthly images could
> > handle that workflow.
> >
> > If you want to avoid the extra bandwidth requirements for daily
> > updates, I think the same solution applies. Or you use the
> > update-manager GUI to select only the security updates and ignore
> > the rest.
>
> I think this would be a valid solution; one thing to keep in mind with
> this approach that security updates would be built based on some version
> of the rolling release and so users of older versions of the packages
> would be forced to update to anything pulled by these security updates.

What about a rolling static base instead?  Do a unionfs (or similar) on top
of it.  Deliver an encompassing image from month to month.  Turn off apt as
a mechanism to deliver updates.  But allow it to be turned back on.  Even
if you don't install anything on top of it, then every month a new static
base comes up and updates it.  If you decide to do daily updates on top,
some of them might be in next month's new static base already, so that
would need to be handled gracefully.

Similar approaches are applied to Chrome OS and Android successfully.

--
Mario Limonciello
superm1 at gmail.com