Avoiding fragmentation with a rolling release

Loïc Minier loic.minier at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 28 23:07:28 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013, Alex Chiang wrote:
> If you want to avoid the daily grind, press the close button when
> update-manager fires. Or set the 'check for updates' frequency to
> monthly. I think the intended audience for monthly images could
> handle that workflow.
>
> If you want to avoid the extra bandwidth requirements for daily
> updates, I think the same solution applies. Or you use the
> update-manager GUI to select only the security updates and ignore
> the rest.

I think this would be a valid solution; one thing to keep in mind with
this approach that security updates would be built based on some version
of the rolling release and so users of older versions of the packages
would be forced to update to anything pulled by these security updates.

--
Loïc Minier