indicator-weather broken, should we drop it from raring?

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 19 14:57:22 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:46:25AM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2013, at 04:26 PM, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
>
> >Looking to the most reported raring issues, I noticed that indicator-weather
> >is listed in there. Investigating the issue I ended on
> >"https://bugs.launchpad.net/weather-indicator/+bug/1162485: " It is
> >impossible to add new location to the list ""
>
> It's also pretty crashy.  I'd say it crashes for me about once a week, but
> then I just restart it and it seems happy again for a while.

I wrote an upstart user session job to automatically respawn it when it
crashes and I've been quite happy with it ever since ;-).

> >Since the indicator seems quite popular I wanted to email the list to mention
> >the issue before asking for the source to be dropped from raring (in case
> >anyone wants to step in to fix it). Is there anyone wanting to have a go at
> >fixing the code?
>
> Even with all its problems, I still like having a weather indicator on my
> desktop.  I'd vote for keeping it for Raring, but giving us through S to fix
> the more egregious of the problems, or replacing it with something more
> stable.
> Time permitting, I'd be willing to work with others to help improve it.

Yeah, me too. There's also indicator-china-weather which I don't think
is a fork but perhaps could be folded back into the main
indicator-weather project, as they seem to have quite similar goals.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney at debian.org ]