indicator-weather broken, should we drop it from raring?

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 19 14:26:20 UTC 2013

Hey,

Looking to the most reported raring issues, I noticed that
indicator-weather is listed in there. Investigating the issue I ended on
"https://bugs.launchpad.net/weather-indicator/+bug/1162485: " It is
impossible to add new location to the list ""

The problem is that the code uses a service which has been discontinued
by Yahoo [1]. The services returns a 404 error nowadays, which means
adding a location can't work.

There is another service in place to get a woeid (location code number)
from a city name, but somebody would need to register for an appid key
and port the code to it (I guess the porting should be alright).

Since the indicator seems quite popular I wanted to email the list to
mention the issue before asking for the source to be dropped from raring
(in case anyone wants to step in to fix it). Is there anyone wanting to
have a go at fixing the code?

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

[1] http://where.yahooapis.com/geocode