Proposing a New App Developer Upload Process

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 8 20:55:16 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 03, 2012 at 07:59:15PM +0200, David Planella wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> […]
> As we continue building upon these foundations, we also keep on refining
> our processes to identify and improve areas in which we can provide a
> better experience for app developers. While doing this, we've been
> gathering metrics from different sources –the current queue of apps
> pending review and the Showdown results being the main ones. They all
> provide clear evidence: the current approach to submit third-party apps
> in the Extras repository has already reached the limit in terms of human
> review capability and application throughput.
>
> Despite our best intentions and the Ubuntu App Review Board's epic
> efforts, we're currently putting a strain on reviewers (who cannot keep
> up with the incoming stream of apps) and providing an unsatisfactory
> experience for app authors (who have to endure long delays to be able to
> upload their apps).

I am trying to leave my opinions aside for now (until UDS), but I feel
compelled provide some food for thought. (I don't imagine that I will
reply again to this thread)

There are a lot of existing relationships both within Ubuntu and between
Ubuntu (developers) and (developers of) other projects. I'm mainly
thinking about Debian. When making any proposal to change the way we
deliver software to our users, we should think about the effect that it
will have on these relationships with and the morale of (likely not an
exhaustive list):

  - Our MOTU and MOTU hopefuls, who have been trying to fight a meme
    that they were to be disbanded.
  - Debian which, if the tie is cut (due to universe ceasing to be the
    distribution point for new software), will be less important to
    Ubuntu. (Why package my software for Debian if most users will not
    see it due to upstream's package taking priority?)
  - Technical users and other developers who could be disempowered to
    fix software if the distribution's role is reduced to that of a
    conduit for "non-platform" software.

Creating two almost entirely separate tiers of software distribution is
something that requires a very large amount of thought and careful
deliberation. We absolutely must not rush into anything.

Thanks for reading,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney at debian.org ]