Quantal Java 7 Transition

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 6 13:22:27 UTC 2012

Hi All

During the Quantal development cycle we will be transitioning as many
Java packages as possible to OpenJDK 7 (see [0]).

As Mathias highlighted during the opening of Quantal (see [1]),
OpenJDK 7 is now used as default for packages depending on
default-[jdk,jre,jre-headless] - so any packages that rely on
default-jdk will automatically build with this new version of Java.

Out of the 900 packages in the archive that build-depend on
default-jdk, 90 currently FTBFS - see [2] (probably due to this switch
but some may be caused by other issues - I have not reviewed all 90
build failures).

I'll be working through these failures during this development cycle;
it would be great if anyone who has some time could help out as well -
see [3] for some help on fixing Java 7 FTBFS and how to report bugs
back to Debian with the correct user tags so that the Debian Java team
can pick them up.

OpenJDK 6 will remain in the archive but will be pushed to universe in
favour of OpenJDK 7 so can still be used as a last resort for anything
that can't/won't be transitioned before release.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

James

[0] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-q-java7