Proposal to drop Ubuntu alternate CDs for 12.10

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 30 09:04:35 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 4:24 AM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs <dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
> wrote:

> On 30 August 2012 09:19, Steve Kowalik <stevenk at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > On 30/08/12 13:58, a.grandi at gmail.com wrote:
> >> Is it so difficoult to have both installer on the same CD and let the
> >> user choose what he/she wants? In this way you won't have the problem
> >> to create a separated.iso to test.
> >
> > Indeed, it is. Impossible, in fact. Ubiquity and the live system use a
> > compressed filesystem to install (a "squashfs") which takes up a large
> > portion of the space on the CD.
> >

> The debian-installer has been modified to support a squashfs based
> installation & server images have switched to squashfs based ISOs so
> it is possible.
>
> This does increase image size, because some things need to be outside
> of squashfs.
>
> This reduces the image count & time to build the whole set of images,
> but not the amount of testing that needs to be performed as both
> installers need to be exercised.\

Unfortunately I don't think there is enough room on the desktop CD to
include d-i with live-installer instead of base-installer  - otherwise I'd
advocated for such an approach since it would effectively allow us to
retain installation via d-i.

Ultimately, I'd rather see Ubiquity be able to boot from a minimal
environment similar to d-i however. There is value in the installer being
able to operate independently of the system actually being functional. From
personal experience, I've spent hours debugging a Ubiquity installer issue
that turned out to actually be an issue with a customization performed for
one of PES's custom projects that affected the boot process and thus
affected the installer.

Regards,

--
Cody A.W. Somerville