Proposal to drop Ubuntu alternate CDs for 12.10

Steve Kowalik stevenk at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 30 08:19:04 UTC 2012

On 30/08/12 13:58, a.grandi at gmail.com wrote:
> Is it so difficoult to have both installer on the same CD and let the
> user choose what he/she wants? In this way you won't have the problem
> to create a separated.iso to test.

Indeed, it is. Impossible, in fact. Ubiquity and the live system use a
compressed filesystem to install (a "squashfs") which takes up a large
portion of the space on the CD.

The alternate CD is full of actual .deb's -- the archives for
installing. We can not fit both on the CD, which means we can't offer a
simple keypress to do so.

The DVD, on the other hand is large enough to fit both, but weighs in at
4.7GiB, rather than 750MiB.

Cheers,
--
                                        Steve