Documentation for netboot [was Re: Proposal to drop Ubuntu alternate CDs for 12.10]

Alkis Georgopoulos alkisg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 15:51:12 UTC 2012

Another idea about netbooting is to include ipxe.lkrn in the desktop CD,
and then use (possibly older) Ubuntu CDs to netinstall any Ubuntu
version (iPXE is x86-only though).

More details in the bug report I've filed for this some months ago:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ipxe/+bug/916494

ipxe.lkrn on the CD will also come handy if one uses local netinst
servers (e.g. I uploaded a script that automates that in
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveCDNetboot#Automation_script) or even for
netbooting LTSP clients if their BIOS doesn't support PXE.