Using biosdevname by default?

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 23 15:23:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 01:50:19AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
>  2) At UDS, consider defaulting to biosdevname=1 for 12.10.  Presumably
>     by that point we would have reasonably substantial experience with
>     it as a result of 1).

biosdevname is now enabled by default on 12.10 alternate/server
installs.  This will cause some machines to use different (and more
stable across reboots) network interface names.

If you see network configuration failures during installation and you're
doing preseeded installations, check whether you've hardcoded the
previous network interface name in your preseed file.  If that's the
case, you can try one of the following:

 * Use "IPAPPEND 2" in your pxelinux.cfg, and remove any
   netcfg/choose_interface preseeding.  This will cause pxelinux to pass
   a BOOTIF= parameter to the installer corresponding to the interface
   used for PXE-booting, which d-i will use to select the same network
   interface for use during installation.

 * If you are not using pxelinux, or if you need to select a different
   interface for use during installation, you may preseed
   netcfg/choose_interface to a hardware MAC address in the form
   aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff to use an interface with that hardware address.

 * Find out the biosdevname-generated name for your network interface
   (remove the preseeding for netcfg/choose_interface and you should be
   shown a list of the available network interfaces; or use 'ip link
   show' after biosdevname has done its work) and use that instead.

 * As a last resort, pass the "biosdevname=0" boot parameter to return
   to the previous scheme for naming network interfaces.