Bug 1017125

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Wed Aug 8 08:24:37 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 01:21:53PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> It sounds to me like a hack to avoid having to worry about maintaining binary
> compatibility.  That's not a road we should go down.

I still think is the only safe way once you had an incompatible ABI sneaked in.
Consider for example:

- Package A contains a static library
- Package B links in that static library

Since uses no such ABI switches it is not rebuild and Even if you rebuild A you
will still have the incompatible ABI lurking in B.

On a higher note: I finally rootcaused the package causing bug 1017125. The
good news is: The ABI break was a red herring. The bad news is: It is a bug in
boost1.49 possibly affecting a _lot_ of applications in main and universe.

Best,

Bjoern