Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 7 21:42:12 UTC 2012

On 7 August 2012 11:22, Bjoern Michaelsen
<bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 09:13:33AM +0200, Didier Roche wrote:
>> I don't know where are the state of our C++ libs, but I got
>> confirmation that after they got the gcc 4.7 ABI fix for c++11, they
>> indeed rebuild the whole std stack, including libsigc++.
>
> Its the libs that I care about. Also note:
>
>  http://jaegerandi.blogspot.de/2012/07/gcc-47-c-abi-changes-and-opensuse-122.html
>
> OpenSUSE seeing the necessity to rebuild the whole stack. I dont think they did
> that just for fun.
>
>> Are we safe in that regard? (can I try to switch unity back to 4.7?)
>
> I dont think you were ever any safer by using 4.6 against other libs having
> still incompatible C++11 ABI dirt in them? It only helps you against your own
> code being dirty.

For some repositories, they automatically trigger r-deps rebuilds
without manual uploads. So they actually might not know binary status
of the archive. In ubuntu, an explicit source upload is always
required to trigger a build in the archive, hence we need less of it.
Plus we don't know if opensuse enabled C++11 by default/more than we
did. So it's quite different world there in the OBS.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.