Bug 1017125 (was: GCC 4.7, STL and binary compatibility of objects built with different language standards)

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Thu Aug 2 11:25:33 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 03:53:00PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> On 03.07.2012 12:02, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> > - a full rebuild of quantal
> >
> > right?
>
> why? not every package like LibreOffice turns off verbose build logs so you can
> see from the log how the package was built.

Im getting really cautious to jump to comclusions, but I kinda suspect there is
still dirty C++11 ABI in quantal somewhere:

 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/1017125/comments/27

Im getting quite desparate here. I also looked at libreoffice with
LD_DEBUG=all, but didnt find an obvious clue.

So short of recompiling all of the build-deps of LlbreOffice (which are 417
plus those that are already on the buildd by default) and then toggling through
each package to see which one is 'guilty', Im out of ideas.

As for recompiling: Thats also not trivial: If I start from quantal I risk
keeping the dirty stuff in somewhere (e.g. via static linking). If I start from
precise, I would need to carefully figure out the incremental build order to
keep the deps happy, which might be nontrivial.

So, hints and ideas welcome (and desparately needed).

Best,

Bjoern

P.S.: BTW AFAIK both Fedora and SUSEs build services do a full rebuild of all
reverse dependencies on package update. That clearly would have prevented some
pain here.