Default layout of the GNOME Classic session

Benjamin Drung bdrung at ubuntu.com
Sat Apr 21 21:18:54 UTC 2012

Hi,

I like to discuss the default layout of the GNOME Classic session and
get some consensus about it. The GNOME Classic session from Ubuntu 12.04
(precise) differs from the GNOME 2 sessions from earlier Ubuntu
releases:

1) It has no Ubuntu logo in the top panel on the left side.
2) It has no "System" menu in the top panel.
3) It has no Firefox launcher in the top panel.
4) It has no Help launcher in the top panel.
5) It has no trash icon in the bottom panel.

I propose to add the trash icon back to the bottom panel. IMO, there are
more reason for it than against it:
+ We had the trash icon in the panel in previous releases.
+ We have a big trash icon in Unity.
+ It takes one instead of four clicks to reach trash.
- GNOME does not have the trash icon by default.

What do you think? Should we add the trash icon back? Should we get the
GNOME Classic session look more like the GNOME 2 session?

BTW, there is one merge proposal [1] that fixes the theming bugs #955376
and #981289.

[1] https://code.launchpad.net/~eye-zak-devel/light-themes/fixes-lp954437/+merge/97295

--
Benjamin Drung