12.04 LTS: 64-bit desktop by default?

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 17 10:03:06 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 08:44:52AM +0100, Stuart Langridge wrote:
> Can the iso itself detect when it's booted on an i386 system and say
> "Hey, you've got the modern Ubuntu disc; what you needed was the
> slightly older ("32-bit") disc, which you can get from
> www.ubuntu.com" in some sort of nice way?

At the moment you only find out when you boot the kernel, which is
better than nothing, but of course the kernel's message isn't especially
flexible.  I thought the CD boot loader told you, but experiment
suggests that this isn't currently wired up properly.  I've filed a bug:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gfxboot-theme-ubuntu/+bug/983825