12.04 LTS: 64-bit desktop by default?

Michael Terry michael.terry at canonical.com
Mon Apr 16 15:09:19 UTC 2012

On 16/04/12 02:03, Steve Langasek wrote:
> And regardless of which we decide to use as the default, both of amd64 and
> i386 will continue to be supported architectures for the length of 12.04 LTS
> and will remain available for download.

There seems to be an unstated assumption that the default recommended
architecture needs to stay the same throughout the lifecycle of 12.04
LTS.  Is that true?

If we end up deciding to stick with i386 for now to better support
common hardware, this question will still be re-evaluated for a future
release.  And when it changes, we could go back and change the default
download link and what is installed on the store USB sticks for 12.04 LTS.

-mt