Reevaluating the "Ubuntu Contributing Developer" status

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 6 18:34:32 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 08:13:21PM +0200, Michael Bienia wrote:
> UCD dates back to the time when MOTU Council was granted the right to
> grant Ubuntu membership. The idea for a subteam comes from Mark [1,2]
> when it was discussed how the membership granting gets implemented for
> the MC.
> UCD caused already once confusion[3] in the past and it was proposed to
> merge UCD with ~ubuntumembers where Mark was against this idea[4] and
> prefered to keep the subteams to be able to track which membership
> granting council added a person[5].

> UCD is in line with the other membership granting councils:
> - Kubuntu council -> ~kubuntu-members
> - Edubuntu council -> ~edubuntu-members
> - Forum council -> ~ubuntu-forum-members
> - IRC council -> ~ubuntu-irc-members

But the name is definitely not.

Do the other councils refer to themselves as "Kubuntu members" / "Forum
members"?  Or do they generally use the title "Ubuntu Members"?

> Perhaps UCD should get renamed to "Ubuntu Development Members"
> (~ubuntu-dev-members) to match the naming scheme of the other teams. But
> I'm not sure if the difference to "Ubuntu Developers" will be clear
> enough just from the team name.

The current name is *definitely* not clear.  If a human-readable name is
needed, I would strongly recommend either "Ubuntu Development Members" or
"Ubuntu Developing Members" over the current name, which wrongly emphasizes
"Developer" as the status instead of "Member".