Reevaluating the "Ubuntu Contributing Developer" status

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 5 11:09:16 UTC 2011

Hey,

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 12:57:36PM +0200, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am 05.10.2011 12:40, schrieb Iain Lane:
> > Please visit the page
> >
> >   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopers#Ubuntu_Contributing_Developers
> >
> > to see our current documentation about what an Ubuntu Contributing
> > Developer is.
>
> I got an action from the DMB recently to update the page and make it a
> bit clearer. There was a lot of repetition in the old page, so I tried
> to sum it up (without losing content) and explain a bit better which
> options new developers have.
>
> 	http://pad.ubuntu-uk.org/JzyYyxw0Qb

Thanks for this; it seems like a good improvement over what we have
currently.

Some comments from my all too brief review:

  - I tried to add a line to the UCD expectations saying that applicants
	need not know it all, but I don't know how to word it well. Please
	help me to improve that — I want to communicate that what is
	important is that you are getting stuck in, not that you are perfect
	(otherwise you'd probably be going for upload rights instead).
  - The second and third bullets on "Common expectations…" seem to
	overlap a lot.
  - In general the bullet points are a mix of "here's what you get when
	you are approved" and "you need to be doing this to be approved".
	There needs to be a better separation between requirements and
	responsibilities.

Regards,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]