Dropping i386 non-PAE as a supported kernel flavour in Precise Pangolin

Julien Lavergne gilir at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 11 07:02:10 UTC 2011

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 08:14:14 -0700
Tim Gardner <tim.gardner at canonical.com> wrote:

> As far as I can tell there hasn't been a mass produced non-PAE cpu in
> over 5 years that we (as a distro) care about. The consumer grade
> electronics lifecycle is _well_ below 5 years. Furthermore, the distro
> focus has been desktop with high performance 3D graphics and servers.
> Where do non-PAE CPUs fit in that world? There are better distro choices
> to fill that niche.

This type of hardware is the main target for Lubuntu. After reading some replies, it seems that more hardwares are affected by this. Depending of this list of affected hardwares, it may just kill the idea of Lubuntu (keeping people in Ubuntu universe, even if they use an old computer).

I also don't think it's wise to do it just before an LTS. Last time hardware support was dropped, it was for 10.10, making possible to send people affected to 10.04 with its LTS support.

Regards,
Julien Lavergne

--
Julien Lavergne <gilir at ubuntu.com>