Ubuntu Server 11.10 Features Defined

Robbie Williamson robbie at ubuntu.com
Fri May 27 22:24:04 UTC 2011

Hello all,

With FeatureDefinitionFreeze[1] now behind us, I'd like to formally
present the prioritized feature list for Ubuntu Server 11.10:

 http://blueprints.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-server/+specs?role=assignee

Please have patience with us, as we are still working out milestone
delivery targets and work items assignments, but you can get a good idea
of what Oneiric Server will be from this list. Please post all
questions/comments about this plan to the ubuntu-server mailing list.

If you scroll down to the bottom, you'll notice 5 blueprints with
"Undefined" priorities and starting with "topic-". These blueprints
correspond with 5 key topics we want to focus on this cycle (in no
particular order):
 * The Ubuntu Orchestra project
 * The Ubuntu Ensemble project
 * Ubuntu Server for ARM
 * Making Ubuntu Server the Best Cloud Infrastructure OS
 * Making Ubuntu Server the Best Cloud Guest OS
Each feature will fall into one or more of these categories, and is
marked as such in the "Dependencies" section.  The plan is that in the
upcoming days, we'll soon have a fast, easy, and useful way to track our
progress in these topics, as well as at the individual feature/work item
level.  Trust me, I've seen the prototype...it's **very** nice. ;)

So buckle up folks...it's going to be a roller coaster of a ride this
cycle, but I'm confident Ubuntu Server 11.10 will be our best release yet!

-Robbie

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FeatureDefinitionFreeze

--
Robbie Williamson <robbie at ubuntu.com>
Ubuntu Server Engineering Manager, Canonical

"You can't be lucky all the time, but you can be smart everyday"
 -Mos Def

"Arrogance is thinking you are better than everyone else, while
Confidence is knowing no one else is better than you." -Me ;)