Computer Janitor to be removed from Oneiric?

Barry Warsaw barry at ubuntu.com
Wed May 18 13:23:43 UTC 2011

In this article linked from Slashdot:

http://tinyurl.com/43d6q2g

it says that Computer Janitor is to be dropped from Oneiric.  I missed that
session (which one was it in?).  C-J was one of the desktop application I
mentioned several times as a candidate for a Python 3 port, but I hadn't heard
that it was going to be dropped.  Clearly if that's the case, porting to
Python 3 would be a waste of effort.

While I've done a bunch of clean up on C-J in the past, I do agree that it has
some problems, including probably most importantly, bug 458872 and its ilk:

http://launchpad.net/bugs/458872

where C-J incorrectly removes manually installed packages.

I'm not so emotionally invested in C-J as to argue for keeping it, but I do
think without a decent alternative somewhere, it would be removing useful
functionality for users, most of whom probably wouldn't manually install
packages.

So my question is: is it definitely decided that C-J will be removed from
Oneiric?  If so, I'll likely stop working on it.  It's fine with me either
way; there's plenty of other Python 3 candidates out there! :).  I'd just like
to know before I spend any time on it.

Cheers,
-Barry