systemd for 11.10 ?

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Tue May 10 20:45:04 UTC 2011

On 5/10/2011 4:15 PM, James Hunt wrote:
> If you are seeing strange behaviour, please raise bugs so we can look at
> them.

It is a design limitation AFAIK, not a bug.  At least the last time I
asked SJR about it, Upstart doesn't use cgroups to track children like
systemd does, and so it looses track of children of the jobs it creates,
such as programs the logged in user runs, and they can continue running
even though you stop the gdm job.

> As of natty, Upstart has a socket bridge which is very similar to
> systemd's "socket activation" facility. Note that both products' socket
> features are probably going to be most effective for server-type apps
> though.

Ahh, I hadn't noticed that.  I'll have to read up on it.