systemd for 11.10 ?

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue May 10 10:55:01 UTC 2011

James Hunt [2011-05-10 11:00 +0100]:
> > If we should ever do the migration to systemd,
> .. Which to be clear, we are not considering currently.

Right, I didn't want to imply this.

> I agree in principle that we should do this *should* we ever consider
> moving to systemd, but there is the issue of ensuring that both the
> Upstart and the systemd jobs are guaranteed to result in the same
> behaviour.

I don't think we can, given that upstart and systemd have opposite
approaches to when to start services ("as soon as you can" vs. "not
until you need them"). So even a very coarse approximation like
"compare the running programs after a clean boot" will most probably
give you differences.

Martin