UDS-O About onscreen keyboard - display manager - dwelling

Francesco Fumanti francesco.fumanti at gmx.net
Fri May 6 18:20:15 UTC 2011

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply.

On 06.05.2011 07:52, Robert Ancell wrote:
> On 05/05/2011 06:55 PM, Francesco Fumanti wrote:
>> 2) Display manager
>>
>> I have come accross the following blueprint for oneiric:
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-o-lightdm
>>
>> Does this mean that LightDM is going to replace GDM?
> That is my proposal.  The decision will be made at UDS, however at the
> last UDS there seemed good support for it (I delayed the use due to
> Unity last cycle) so I am hopeful that people will agree it is worth
> changing to.

So chances might be good for it to be adopted.

>> I just ran a test session in natty where I replaced GDM with the
>> LightDM display manager available in the repository, but I did not get
>> beyond the login screen, because there was no explicit way to enable
>> an onscreen keyboard...
> Thanks for testing.  a11y is a high priority requirement for LightDM and
> I'm looking for requirements.  If you're able to attend the UDS session
> that would be awesome as I need experienced a11y people to give me a
> list of requirements and good feedback.

Sorry, I am not attending UDS.

Concerning the implementation of the accessibility features, I suppose that the best will be to have contact with several people in order to cover the different kinds of accessibility needs. As a pointer only user, I can tell you how I imagine things for people that control the computer with only a mouse (with and without a hardware button to click).

Unfortunately, I can't help you with the accessibility features needed by switch users, or visually, auditive or cognitive impaired users.

Recently, I read the following on a gnome list: the other of that email (I do not know him) might be of some help concerning switch access.
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-accessibility-list/2011-May/msg00000.html

And last, but not least:the Accessibility Team of Ubuntu...

>> There is already a little menu to increase the font size and set a
>> high contrast. Thus, I would like to ask whether this menu could not
>> be enhanced with more accessibility features; maybe also turning it
>> into a dialog. A starting point might be the accessibility features
>> available in the GDM accessibility dialog.
> Absolutely.  The current implementation is very basic, and any new login
> screen that would be released in Ubuntu will require a design and these
> features implemented.

Great,:-)

Cheers,

Francesco