UDS-O About onscreen keyboard - display manager - dwelling

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at canonical.com
Fri May 6 05:52:43 UTC 2011

On 05/05/2011 06:55 PM, Francesco Fumanti wrote:
> 2) Display manager
>
> I have come accross the following blueprint for oneiric:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-o-lightdm
>
> Does this mean that LightDM is going to replace GDM?
That is my proposal.  The decision will be made at UDS, however at the
last UDS there seemed good support for it (I delayed the use due to
Unity last cycle) so I am hopeful that people will agree it is worth
changing to.

> I just ran a test session in natty where I replaced GDM with the
> LightDM display manager available in the repository, but I did not get
> beyond the login screen, because there was no explicit way to enable
> an onscreen keyboard...
Thanks for testing.  a11y is a high priority requirement for LightDM and
I'm looking for requirements.  If you're able to attend the UDS session
that would be awesome as I need experienced a11y people to give me a
list of requirements and good feedback.

> There is already a little menu to increase the font size and set a
> high contrast. Thus, I would like to ask whether this menu could not
> be enhanced with more accessibility features; maybe also turning it
> into a dialog. A starting point might be the accessibility features
> available in the GDM accessibility dialog.
Absolutely.  The current implementation is very basic, and any new login
screen that would be released in Ubuntu will require a design and these
features implemented.

Thanks Francesco!