build-from-branch into the primary archive

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 7 21:56:19 UTC 2011

[sorry for the late reply]

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:01:10AM -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2011, at 11:14 AM, Steve Langasek wrote:

> >For that matter, if DEBCHANGE_RELEASE_HEURISTIC=changelog were the default,
> >there would be an explicit "mark this ready for upload" step that typically
> >consists of 'dch -r && debcommit -r', which creates exactly the same tag as
> >'bzr mark-uploaded'.

> FWIW, 'dch -r && debcommit -r' is a bit of black magic that doesn't seem
> well-covered in the documentation.  Or, perhaps more accurately, it wasn't
> stressed enough to make it onto my radar before this thread.

> Maybe it would be more discoverable as 'bzr release' instead of 'bzr
> mark-upload' or 'dch -r && debcommit -r'?

Maybe 'bzr debrelease', to avoid polluting the namespace too much?

This should be implemented on top of 'dch' and support the -D option to
specify an upload target; we definitely shouldn't have bzr-builddeb encoding
its own notion of the default upload target, it's bad enough to have *one*
package that doesn't get updated for this as part of the release. :)