Getting rid of alignment faults in userspace

Dave Martin dave.martin at linaro.org
Mon Jun 20 09:21:04 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 11:53:21PM +0100, Paul Brook wrote:

> > > But I believe that h/w feature is turned off in Linux by default. You
> > > have to add noalign to the kernel command line to enable.
> >
> > I think you'll find the hardware fixups are enabled by default on CPUs
> > with that design, quite possibly it can't be turned off.
>
> The situation is much more complicated than that.  There are two completely
> different models for misaligned accesses (v6 and pre-v6).  v7 cores are only
> required to support the former.
>
> However even under the v6 model some instructions will fault on misaligned
> addresses, and the CPU may be configured to fault many others.  The exact
> behavior depends on the particular instruction chosen by the compiler.  I
> don't know whether Linux currently knows how to enable alignment checking on
> v6/v7 hardware.

Last time I looked into this, I think the conclusion was that you would have to
hack the kernel in order to enable full alignment faulting on v6/v7.  The CR.A
bit setting may be hardcoded for these arches.  (But my knowledge could be
out of date...)

However, this slightly misses the point:  for linaro, ubuntu and armhf at least,
we are interested in fixing apps which incur the cost of alignment faults.
Non-faulting misaligned instructions on v6/v7 are therefore much less of a
problem, since these are much less expensive.

> > int main(int argc, char * argv[])
> > {
> >
> >       char buf[8];
> >       void *v = &buf[1];
> >       unsigned int *p = (unsigned int *)v;
>
> This does not (reliably) do what you expect.  The compiler need not align buf.

In fact, dereferencing p is unlikely to cause a fault on v6/v7.

Specifically, LDM/STM and LDRD/STRD, plus VFP register loads and stores (but
not NEON-specific loads and stores) need to be word aligned and will fault
otherwise.  These faults are unconditional: the CPU won't do these accesses
misaligned natively.

Typically, the compiler emits these instructions when:

 a) copying small objects larger than 32 bits (for large objects, memcpy
would be used); or

 b) accessing fundamental 64-bit types.

Firefox fails under (a); gtk-sharp2 fails under (b).  Both cases arise from
acting on a misaligned pointer due to an unsafe attempt at optimisation.

Cheers
---Dave