Call For Testing: Natty Firefox users (or willing to install Natty in a VM)

Micah Gersten micah at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 17 22:59:40 UTC 2011

We need Natty users to test our latest Firefox Upgrade!

*Background:*
Firefox 4 will not receive any more point releases, but rather Firefox 5
is the security update for Firefox 4.0.1. Upstream Mozilla has changed
their release process and are using a rapid release schedule.  We will
be following this new release schedule to continue to deliver a secure
browsing experience to our users.

Since Natty has Firefox 4, it will start this process immediately. Lucid
and Maverick which are on 3.6.x will be transitioning to the new rapid
release cycle once 3.6.x has reached end of life.

Before releasing these updates to the public, we need testing of the
following packages:

    * firefox
    * xul-ext-webfav
    * xul-ext-mozvoikko
    * xul-ext-bindwood
    * gecko-mediaplayer
    * moonlight-plugin-core

We have published all these packages in a PPA [1], and, for your
convenience, have copied these updates to natty-proposed.  You can
either enable the Ubuntu Mozilla Security PPA (instructions to follow)
or natty-proposed.  Please keep in mind, that natty-proposed might get
you a lot of other extra packages as well.

We need people running Natty in bare metal or a virtual machine. If you
are willing to help, here's what you can do:

Add the Ubuntu Mozilla Security PPA to your software sources:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa
or
enable natty-proposed

Then, you can either run update-manager or:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Since there are very few packages, we are tracking this transition in
bug 798484 [2].  I have added verification-needed-* tags for each of the
packages that need testing.  If you find a bug, please file a new bug
with all the details, then, comment with the bug # and the affected
package name in the tracking bug [2].  If you see the
verification-needed-* tag for a specific package, feel free to comment
if you have tested the package and it works.  If you see a
verification-done-* tag for a specific package, there is no need to
comment that it works, but more testing is always appreciated.    If you
see a verification-failed-* tag for a specific package, please check if
your bug has already been filed, if not, please file one with all the
details and comment in the tracking bug with the bug # and the package name.

Feel free to subscribe to this bug [2] to follow the progress, but be
forewarned that you will probably get a lot of E-Mail from it.

Please note, packages need to be tested to migrate to natty-security and
natty-updates.

Thanks to everyone in advance,
Micah

[1] https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-security/+archive/ppa
<https://edge.launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-mozilla-security/+archive/ppa>
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/798484

P.S.  The current final Firefox 5 build and moon are currently finishing
building on armel and will be copied to natty-proposed over the
weekend.  The other architectures' packages are available in the Ubuntu
Mozilla Security PPA.

--
Micah Gersten
Ubuntu Security Team