shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 14 08:39:05 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 07:21:48AM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> I. e. we should remove the alternate/server parts and the pool, and
> try to find a solution in ubiquity to remove the unnecessary langpacks
> from the live system wholesale without having to wait for half an hour
> in ubiquity.  That will get a bit hackish, but we know what langpacks
> look like, so skipping the unneeded /usr/share/locale-langpack/...
> files during copying and doing some careful dpkg brain surgery
> might do the trick (perhaps purging is even fast enough if there
> aren't any files from the package left?).

The hack you describe is already pretty much what we do in ubiquity.
See https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/dvd-performance-hacks.

In the case where the package has a prerm, we determined that this hack
was unsafe (or at least not provably safe).  It is often possible to
speed things up without needing to change ubiquity by converting
packages to avoid prerms (e.g. using triggers).