Patch pilot Report 2011-06-10

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 10 11:09:12 UTC 2011

Some report on my patch pilot journey:

*
https://code.launchpad.net/~bilalakhtar/gedit/unity-quicklist/+merge/63696
Unity Quicklist in different applications :
some discussion on the guideline. I got the design team to decide a
policy on capitalization:

JohnLea | didrocks; First letter of each line capitalized, names all
capitalized.  e.g. "Create
a new document" and "Open Office" are both correct.

He has update the guidelines in the FAQ of
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Unity/LauncherAPI
and https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Unity/LauncherAPI#Quicklist elements

I also directly talked to cdbs about forwarding those patchs upstream as
I documented in the above example (and using
http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep3/). Indeed, it's important for us to
avoid unnecessary delta that those patches are reported upstream. We
have cases of non ubuntu directly related project where they are already
upstream: gnome-screenshot (in gnome-utils), inkscape, libreoffice…

So, merge put on hold until the patch is tagged and reported usptream.
Will sponsor it shortly after then

*
https://code.launchpad.net/~roland.dreier/ubuntu/oneiric/empathy/account-widget-fix/+merge/63939
approved and sponsored

*
https://code.launchpad.net/~mathieu-tl/xscreensaver/update-to-5.14/+merge/64084
seems to be already in discussion with several for and back, let it that
way

*
https://code.launchpad.net/~bilalakhtar/aptdaemon/unity-integration/+merge/63673
https://code.launchpad.net/~bilalakhtar/update-manager/unity-launcher-progress/+merge/63674
Poke people to look at it

*
https://code.launchpad.net/~vanvugt/ubuntu/oneiric/compiz-plugins-main/fix-793897/+merge/63657
patches were made against the wrong branch and in debian/patches as well
as in the tree. Took some time to explain on the merge request how it
works, how to ensure to take the primary branch and apply patches.
Recommitted the change in the right branch, add debian/changelog and
sponsored

*
https://code.launchpad.net/~sargentd/indicator-network/libnotify-bd/+merge/64126
as the previous one, the wrong branch was targeted. I have put the
commit back in
https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop/indicator-network/ubuntu
using --author. However, I noticed as well that 0.3.8-0ubuntu2 was
sponsored without the right branch being committed (despite the right
branch being in Vcs-Bzr tag), so I rewrote the history for that one as
well trying to get the right commits.

Those issues where we loose contributor and our time just for ensuring
and reporting commits in the right branch make me think that for desktop
team branch (as most of them are in
~ubuntu-desktop/<package_name>/ubuntu, we should maybe point the
canonical branch (lp:ubuntu/<pakage_name>) to them? Same with compiz
which is under ~compiz?

Also, as discussed wih dholbach, those branches are seen as "upstream"
by launchpad, not packaging branch.

* https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apg/+bug/785682
Now that the MIR is acked, security issue done, promoting to main

* https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sugar-hulahop/+bug/795450
Blacklist and removed the packages

* https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/yasm/+bug/795415
Sync acked

* I've also processed some sync which were acked but waiting in the same
time.

Cheers,
Didier