shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 9 07:52:12 UTC 2011

On mer., 2011-06-08 at 16:55 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> > - What should we cut from the current DVD image (currently a superset of
> > desktop, alternate, and server)? Or, perhaps more simply, what would be
> > worth adding beyond the current 700MB CD image?
>
> If we have the machinery to produce language-specific CDs, could that
> same machinery be used to produce language-specific USB isos?  If so,
> then only one language per image is necessary.  Looks like that'd give
> back a lot of space.

I don't think we should do that for USB isos. That adds iso QA, space
required on mirrors in addition to people downloading the wrong image
(and maybe a ETOOMUCHCHOICE?)

language-specific CDs is one step ahead and we will see how this scale
with disk space, iso QA and loco providing their default, but I don't
think we should rush in language-specific USB isos.

Didier