Shall we hide the GUI for Hibernate in Natty?

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 10:02:13 UTC 2011

I'm just a lurker here, I'm just a user and I don't tend to say a lot. But
remember that:

1) Not everyone uses laptops. Desktop PCs do not have a battery and losing
power during a suspend is a no-no.

2) Not everyone has a long running battery. Suspend does eat a little bit of
your battery charge, and for people with little charge available it's a
recipe for disaster.

3) Suspend is not reliable for long periods of time, because there's too
much that can go wrong. If I travel, put my notebook in my bag, or just
leave it for a few days (it happens sometimes) I prefer to leave it in
hibernation.

Carlos Ribeiro

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 02:44, Marco Trevisan (Treviño) <mail at 3v1n0.net>wrote:

> Il giorno lun, 31/01/2011 alle 11.04 -0800, Rick Spencer ha scritto:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > This email is to get some feedback and discussion about an idea under
> > consideration for Ubuntu in Natty.
> >
> > Natty is currently NOT showing the Hibernate option in the list of
> > shutdown choices. This is currently an experiment, but I thought it
> > might be worth discussing the pros and cons on these lists as well.
> >
> > The reasoning for hiding Hibernate includes:
> > 1. It doesn't work well for many users on many machines.
>
> This is partly true: it has improved a lot in recent times...
>
> > 2. It's very slow.
>
> True, unfortunately true. But this is valid just for the standard kernel
> hibernation. Using TuxOnIce would improve a *lot* the usability and
> speed. Until something like TuxOnIce would be in the kernel, the
> hibernation is completely useless, if not damaging (sometimes ubuntu in
> low battery starts hibernating and it takes many minutes to perform the
> task, while it's impossible to stop the process!).
>
> > 3. It's not as useful because users can just suspend.
> Mh, not true... Suspending is useful, but sometimes I really need to
> hibernate (i.e. remove laptop battery, keep it away from AC for long
> time...).
>
> > 4. The difference between hibernate and suspend is confusing.
>
> True.

Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos
twitter: http://twitter.com/carribeiro