build-from-branch into the primary archive

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Sat Feb 19 13:51:42 UTC 2011

Martin Pool [2011-02-17 18:02 +1100]:
> <https://dev.launchpad.net/LEP/BuildFromBranchIntoPrimary>

> How do we distinguish commits that ought to be built from those that
> don't?

A very common workflow for packages is to commit the actual changes to
the package while keeping the upload target as "UNRELEASED". Once you
want to upload it, you do "dch -r" to flip the upload target to
"natty" (or maverick-proposed, etc.), and commit that change with
"debcommit -r", which will also tag the revision with the package
version number. In order to fulfill the "at least as secure"
requirement, we'd need to additionally GPG-sign that "release" commit.

So IMHO a package should be built on each commit which has a tag and a
GPG signature.

Thanks!

Martin