DMB: Proposal for a different review process

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 3 19:24:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, Nathan Handler wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Chase Douglas
> <chase.douglas at canonical.com> wrote:
> > True, but progress sometimes means change. I think this system would
> > work better, and if proven right it could be a model for other boards to
> > adopt. If it's worse, then the DMB can easily switch back. I would also
> > be happy to be a guinea pig for any process changes.
>
> Having a meeting on a set date each month helps eliminate most of
> those issues. It also has a feeling of being more open to the
> community (which is important, as community feedback/testimonials
> about applicants is often a very valuable tool in evaluating an
> application). It sounds like the issue has more to do with the fact
> that quorum has not been able to be met, and not with whether or not
> the IRC meetings are effective.

I tend to agree that IRC meetings are a good way to handle this.  It means
there is a set time in which someone can expect to be decided upon, and
ability for realtime[ish] conversation.

Unfortunately it has largely failed this year.  The normal experience for
someone applying for Developer Membership is to be delayed at least 1
meeting.

With no further digging, only looking at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DeveloperMembershipBoard/Logs , 4 out of the last
11 meetings scheduled did not happen.  3 of those were due to lack of
quorum.  At least one other meeting not explicitly listed required email
vote due to lack of quorum.

I can understand that last minute issues come up, and people are not able
to attend meetings.  That definitely does occur.  However, it would seem
that the frequency at which this occurs for this particular meeting
indicates something else.

At very least, this issue needs to be fixed.  Meetings need to happen at
scheduled times, or be postponed/rescheduled at least 24 hours in advance.

I can personally attest to twice being excited about a meeting, and then
let down that it did not happen.  Its really no way to treat people.

Note, I'm somewhat hesitant in sending this, as I'm basically criticizing
(hopefully respectively and constructively) a group of people who have
power over me.  I'm sure that many other people have felt this way before
and have not spoken up in order to avoid rocking a boat.

Thank you, Chase, for raising the issue.

Scott