Missing panel items (was Re: Default Desktop Experience for 11.04 - User testing results)

Alin-Andrei nilarimogard at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 17:50:53 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 17:03, Barry Warsaw <barry at ubuntu.com> wrote:

>>>* The weather notifier is missing.  I really like this little notifier so
>>>know when to throw open the windows and get some fresh air!
>>
>>Install the "indicator-weather" package - it's in the official Natty repos
>>(universe).
>
>Thanks, done.  Now what?  I don't know how to add indicators to the Unity
top
>panel.  System settings has nothing appropriate, and right-clicking on the
>panel does nothing.

> Please note, I'm deliberately trying to wear a newbie hat.

Just search for "weather" in Dash... it should show up and click in will
automatically add Weather Indicator to the panel. I guess that for a newbie
it's easier then before as you launch it from the menu and you don't have to
right click the panel to add it. But not for one who has used an older
Ubuntu version of course... for such a newbie I can see how that's
confusing.

>>>* System monitor.  I like this little applet because it gives me a quick
>>>way
>>>to take the pulse of my system.   How hard it's running, is there a lot
of
>>>network activity going on, etc.
>>>
>>>For the CPU and memory usage you can use System Monitor Indicator [1]

>>>* Force quit.  Some times you just need it and a kill -9 just isn't easy
>>>get to.
>>
>>There's no appindicator for this, but you can create a .desktop file (just
>>copy any from /usr/share/applications/ on your desktop and edit it as a
>>template), and under "Exec" enter "xkill", then drag and drop this
.desktop
>>file to the Unity launcher. Then to force an application to close, click
>>this icon, then click the window you want to close.
>>
>>I hope this helps :)

>It does, and thanks.  But do understand that from a non-technical user's
>perspective, these are regressions from the classic desktop, both in
missing
>features and the ability to add them to the top panel.

I'm just a simple user and I though I'd help so you don't need to convince
me but the developers :)

-Andrew
http://www.webupd8.org