Default Desktop Experience for 11.04

Ted Gould ted at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 15 16:17:32 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 13:16 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:41:22PM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 02:17:47PM -0500, Ted Gould wrote:
> > > But, I'd also love to see the requirements for Universe be something
> > > higher than just the DFSG.  For instance, I believe Debian requires
> > > everything in /usr/bin to have a man page.  Many of these I see as the
> > > modern desktop equivalent of having a man page.
> >
> > eXtreme +1
> >
> > And not just universe. I would love this requirement to be more strictly
> > enforced in the entire Ubuntu archive.
>
> I don't think we should do this unless we also have the manpower
> resources identified to bring apps up to meet the standards.  There are
> a lot of otherwise good, powerful applications which simply haven't kept
> up with the latest GUI technologies, and it would be shooting ourselves
> in the foot to simply drop them.

Well, I don't think we'll ever have the manpower to change all of Open
Source for any particular vision.  I'd love that, but I think the
expectation is unreasonable.  What we can do is provide leadership in
what makes good software, and be clear about our standards there.  I
would for instance, be against any requirement that didn't have a good
guide on how to fix it and perhaps a UDW presentation on it.  We
shouldn't adopt new standards quickly or randomly.  But starting to set
a process in place for adopting new standards is the first step.

> If the goal here is to motivate projects to implement particular
> technologies that we want to see more consistent across applications,
> there are way more effective tactics to employ for that...

Like? :-)

> If the goal is to clear out clutter from universe and/or main that we
> have to support, I would think Debian already should have processes for
> this?

It's less about trying to "clear out" as much as "make better."  I
imagine that most projects would have the examples I listed as a goal,
that they'll get to at some point.  We'd just be establishing a deadline
or requirement for that.  It's like the student doing their homework
midnight before it's due -- I imagine that a lot of projects would get
around to it if there was a movement in that direction.

		--Ted