Default Desktop Experience for 11.04

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Thu Apr 14 20:16:00 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:41:22PM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 02:17:47PM -0500, Ted Gould wrote:
> > But, I'd also love to see the requirements for Universe be something
> > higher than just the DFSG.  For instance, I believe Debian requires
> > everything in /usr/bin to have a man page.  Many of these I see as the
> > modern desktop equivalent of having a man page.
>
> eXtreme +1
>
> And not just universe. I would love this requirement to be more strictly
> enforced in the entire Ubuntu archive.

I don't think we should do this unless we also have the manpower
resources identified to bring apps up to meet the standards.  There are
a lot of otherwise good, powerful applications which simply haven't kept
up with the latest GUI technologies, and it would be shooting ourselves
in the foot to simply drop them.

If the goal here is to motivate projects to implement particular
technologies that we want to see more consistent across applications,
there are way more effective tactics to employ for that...

If the goal is to clear out clutter from universe and/or main that we
have to support, I would think Debian already should have processes for
this?

Bryce