Default Desktop Experience for 11.04

Ted Gould ted at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 14 17:39:43 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 09:49 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> Unless it's a package developed specifically for Ubuntu, it's really not a bug
> in the package from an upstream perspective.  Some upstreams will choose to
> support Ubuntu specific requirements and others won't.  For those that don't,
> either users will lose out on functionality or we'll have to develop and
> maintain Ubuntu specific patches.
>
> I doubt it's supportable to deal with Ubuntu patches for all the relevant
> Universe packages.  We also know there are some important applicaitons that
> can't/won't support the migration, so it's either live with a legacy
> notification area or not support these packages.  I suspect that, in the
> interest of giving the users fully functional applications we'll come down on
> the side of supporting the notification area for these packages.  It makes
> sense to me, given that, just to plan on supporting it generally for
> applications that use it.

I hope that one day we can get to the point of having UI requirements on
applications within the Ubuntu process similar to the security
requirements that exist with an MIR today.

So, for instance a package couldn't be in the Ubuntu archive:
      * if it required the system tray
      * didn't support localization
      * didn't have basic accessibility support
      * doesn't provide any user documentation
      * uses it's own notification system instead of the FD.o one

I think part of making the overall Ubuntu experience better is
increasing the quality of all applications we ship, and one way to do
that is by increasing our own standards.  Of course, we're a ways away
from this right now, but I think looking in this direction is helpful.

		--Ted