Using something better than Gobby for session notes at UDS

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 11 15:28:15 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 12:50 PM, James Page <james.page at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 16:39 -0500, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
>> It suffers from most the usual ailments endemic to large Java packages
>> in Debian/Ubuntu.  The debconf could use a little bit of love.  And
>> obviously the change from sunjdk -> openjdk needs a bit of testing.  I
>> can do a complete review of the packaging as an Archive Admin and
>> publish my notes, if we want to consider it for inclusion in Universe
>> for Oneiric, but I haven't done so thus far.
>
> Hi Dustin
>
> I started to take a look at the bundled Java dependencies last week; it
> looked like all but 3 of them could be fulfilled through existing Java
> libraries in the archive.
>
> Happy to integrate this into the packaging - do you have a branch I can
> work against?

Sorry, I did not use a branch for this first cut, however, that is a good idea.

You can grab my source with:
 $ dget https://launchpad.net/~etherpad/+archive/ppa/+files/etherpad_1.1-0ubuntu1%7Eppa3.dsc

And debdiff that against:
 $ dget http://apt.etherpad.org/dists/all/source/etherpad_1.1.dsc

I have made you an administrator of the ~etherpad team in Launchpad,
such that you can upload iterations of the etherpad packaging to the
ppa:etherpad/ppa.  Feel free to add any other teams or individuals who
wants to help with this work.  (Volunteers?)

Looks like Elliot Murphy owns the etherpad project in Launchpad -- we
should probably hook up this team/project together.  Elliot -- I also
added you as an administrator of team ~etherpad.  Perhaps you can
transfer ownership of project etherpad to team ~etherpad?

>> James, is this a reasonable starting point?  And is there anyone out
>> there on ubuntu-devel@ who feels strongly enough about Etherpad/Gobby
>> to pick up this packaging/testing and take it from here?
>
> I would be up for this; the upstream build process is completely
> non-standard but we should be able to work it into something more
> maintainable.

You rock ;-)

--
:-Dustin