Default Desktop Experience for 11.04

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Mon Apr 11 11:22:02 UTC 2011

On 04/07/2011 11:52 PM, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Rick Spencer [2011-04-07 18:38 -0700]:
>> 1. There are key feature regressions, for example, there is no systray
>> support for many important applications.
>
> For the record, this is currently purely a design decision, not a
> technical problem. Unity does have a systray, but most applications
> are not allowed to use it. The current exception list is AFAIR Java
> applications, Skype, and Mumble.
>
> If this is a major issue, then frankly I'd rather just remove the
> whitelist and allow all old-style systray applications than dropping
> Unity by default completely.
>
> Martin

I think it's the height of arrogance for us to tell a user that we're
going to deliberately break his application because it wasn't updated to
use our new indicator library.  "Still working the way it used to" is a
reasonable fall back.

Yes, there may be a political benefit to the white list as it will
increase the pressure for applications to change, but in the meantime
we'll have deliberately introduced a regression.  I can't see how that
would be a good thing.

Scott Ritchie