ari-tczew to be excluded from Ubuntu community

Vishnoo vish at ubuntu.com
Sat Apr 9 06:45:16 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 17:25 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> > > God forbid :p
> >
> >  Eh; yet it would still be "less private" than the subset of people who
> >  made the decision, while not being entirely public.
> >
> >  Such a permanent list would have potential for abuse though, and its
> >  mere existence would cause people to wonder how much is being discussed
> >  on it.
>
> I think it's overkill to create such a permanent resource for instances where
> private communication among Ubuntu members is needed.  I think that in this
> particular case, Ubuntu members should be able to get access to the relevant
> information in private, but I don't think such a general resource is required
> or a good idea.  I'd suggest the process be that interested members mail the
> cc list and someone on the cc will mail them a gpg encrypted tarball.

Wouldn't that cause a lag time in communication? Also, it would take an
extra effort from the CC to tarball(or just grab an existing tarball)
and send individually to every person who asks. And the present CC would
have to keep the tarball for ever, someone 1yr later might want to look
into some issue.

How about a secure ppa for Ubuntu Members, where such tarballs can be
grabbed? (We did have a secure Ubuntu-members-only ppa for the fonts, so
I'm just saying PPA here. But any form which reduces lag time would be
better.)

On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 14:56 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> So what folks here who aren't also Debian developers may not appreciate is
> that debian-private is a stellar example of how badly communities of a
> certain radius behave when you give them a private forum in which they may
> communicate freely and from which they may /not/ redirect discussions to
> more appropriate public venues.
>
> The signal-to-noise ratio on debian-private is approximately 1:100.

Why not just make it a read-only/moderated private list?
Where such mails can be sent only by the CC or other councils and the
mails would be archived and accessible only by the Members (i.e. no
member noise :D ). I don't see why members have to be allowed to talk
there.

--
Cheers,
Vish