ari-tczew to be excluded from Ubuntu community

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 8 21:56:31 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 05:24:17PM -0400, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> >> God forbid :p
> >
> >  Eh; yet it would still be "less private" than the subset of people who
> >  made the decision, while not being entirely public.
> >
> >  Such a permanent list would have potential for abuse though, and its
> >  mere existence would cause people to wonder how much is being discussed
> >  on it.

> To be honest, it's really not that bad of an idea. Some things tend to
> "snowball" when they are on public lists, it would almost be nice to
> have a list that's not council-only (we do have private lists already,
> this would actually move some council talk into the members-only
> lists) to talk about issues that might be "hot-button" in the
> blag-o-sphere.

So what folks here who aren't also Debian developers may not appreciate is
that debian-private is a stellar example of how badly communities of a
certain radius behave when you give them a private forum in which they may
communicate freely and from which they may /not/ redirect discussions to
more appropriate public venues.

The signal-to-noise ratio on debian-private is approximately 1:100.

This is not a phenomenon exclusive to debian-private either.  I have some
concrete ideas about how to fix debian-private, but I think the best thing
for Ubuntu is to not create such a communication medium in the first place.