Default Desktop Experience for 11.04

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Fri Apr 8 02:48:36 UTC 2011

On Thursday, April 07, 2011 10:00:45 PM Jorge O. Castro wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Rick Spencer <rick.spencer at canonical.com>
wrote:
> > 1. There are key feature regressions, for example, there is no systray
> > support for many important applications.
>
> According to the AppIndicator Design document the notification area
> will be phased out:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CustomStatusMenuDesignGuidelines
>
> We've been transitioning since 10.04 now so I don't think this should
> be attributed to Unity entirely, we could have easily run into this by
> not shipping the notification area in classic mode.

Ubuntu is alone, AFAIK, in deciding to do away with the notification
area/systray (in KDE it's called the systray).  I think it's reasonably
inevitable that there will always be packages that don't support this Ubuntu
unique functionality.  I'm not sure if that's an argument for waiting (more
time might yield more support) or an argument for going ahead (no matter how
long we'll always lose some fraction of support).

It does seem relevant to this discussion however because even though removing
the notification area could have been a classic mode problem, it's at present
something that is tied to Unity.

Scott K