[Oneiric-Foundations-Topic] Switch to /run

Michael Biebl biebl at debian.org
Tue Apr 5 19:53:28 UTC 2011

Am 05.04.2011 19:19, schrieb Colin Watson:
> On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 08:57:36AM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
>> ]] Scott Kitterman
>> | See http://lwn.net/Articles/436012/ and the current debian-devel thread on the
>> | topic for details: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/04/msg00019.html
>>
>> We (meaning Michael Biebl, Roger Leigh and I) are pushing for this to be
>> a release goal for wheezy as well, so any help from Ubuntu to help make
>> it happen would be welcome.
>
> As I said on the Fedora development list, I'm entirely happy to work on
> this in Ubuntu.  I'm not even sure it needs UDS discussion;

It's great to have you on board!

 a few
> obvious symlinks make it a non-intrusive change.

For a few selected packages like mdadm, lvm2, udev and initramfs-tools
(basically the ones using /dev/.XXX dirs), you need coordinated uploads so they
work together properly [1].

For other packages that currently use /var/run (which are quite a few), I'd
prefer if they kept using /var/run for another release cycle and are not (yet)
patched to use /run directly. Otherwise a versioned dependency on base-files
(resp. initscripts or upstart) would have to be added. If we wait for another
release cycle with this, those packages simply can rely on /run being usable
without a explict dependency.

Cheers,
Michael

[1] From what I understand so far, the idea is to have /run already in initramfs
and then (mount) move it over to the real root. The changes in base-files,
initscripts (and upstart) are rather small.

universe are pointed away from Earth?