brainstorming for UDS-N - Application Developers

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 18:13:14 BST 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 13:00 -0400, Marc Deslauriers wrote:
> If we go the route of being able to submit apps easily without
> becoming
> an Ubuntu developer, we would need to start performing extensive
> auditing on applications that are submitted, like Apple and Google do.
> We would also need to have a way of remotely wiping applications that
> contain malware or security issue that are being ignored by the
> developer. This may be more work on our part than simply packaging
> stuff
> ourselves.

Reducing and removing barriers is one thing we can do to increase
participation in development of new apps. but I'm not sure about the
rush to let in any old app directly into the desktop.

Making space is another. We have launchpad and it's a nice space, we
have gc will links that to our desktop space. Having a way to get things
into ppas can be done through quickly which allows desktop installation.
What I don't see is a nice way to publicise apps, no directory of apps,
no ranking and no systems of selecting the best to go into universe with
packaging help.

The desktop tools need more polish, more shine. Less scripting and more
packaged framework programs (basically the same scripts formalised).

If we want apps in then I think they need to be just as community vetted
as we currently make them. Growing the community of vetters would help
and that would mean giving them access to the apps before the general
public access.

Martin,