Clarifying UDS Tracks

Jono Bacon jono at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 7 17:51:49 BST 2010

Hi All,

There has been a little confusion surrounding the tracks at UDS, and I
wanted to send out a quick email clarifying the situation.

After the last UDS we performed some research and evaluated the results
of the UDS Survey and identified that a common problem with the original
track format ("desktop", "server", "community" etc) was that it was
difficult to encourage cross-team discussion. Another issue was that it
was difficult for participants to have a general idea of what was going
to be some common themes at UDS.

To try and solve this, we have decided to trial some topic based tracks
instead of team based tracks. We hope this will encourage a mix of
different teams and skillsets joining areas of common interest.

Matt Zimmerman and Rick Spencer spent some time assessing a suitable set
of tracks and the following have been

      * Hardware Compatibility
      * Ubuntu the Project
      * Application Selection and Defaults
      * Application Developers
      * Cloud Infrastructure
      * Performance
      * Multimedia
      * Other

More details on these tracks is available at
http://uds.ubuntu.com/tracks/

To be clear, not all sessions will neatly fit into these tracks, and
this is why we have the 'Other' track.

As before, if you want to discuss a session at UDS, please go and
register your blueprints at
https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/sprints/uds-n and name it like
this:

E.g:

	other-foundations-n-update-manager-improvements

If you are not on a team, feel free to omit the team.

When adding sessions be sure to:

     1. Mark it for discussion at the 'uds-n' sprint.
     2. Talk to the relevant track lead to get it scheduled (track leads
        are shown at
        https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/sprints/uds-n). If your
        session doesn't fit into one of the tracks and should be in the
        'Other' track, talk to Jorge Castro to get it scheduled.

Thanks, everyone,

	Jono

--
Jono Bacon