brainstorming for UDS-N - Application Developers

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 4 17:05:39 BST 2010

Le dimanche 03 octobre 2010 à 22:52 +0100, Bruno Girin a écrit :
> On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 15:44 +0100, Shane Fagan wrote:
> <snip>
> > The libs included in the default change a lot so maintaining a list
> > would be hard and I dont think it would help too many people developing.
>
> From an application developer's point of view, that's an issue because
> it means that with every new Ubuntu release, you potentially have to
> update your application to deal with changes in libraries. In addition,
> you are under pressure to do that before the new Ubuntu release
> otherwise your application may fail to work completely for a given
> release. And to be honest, most developers would rather spend their time
> adding new features rather than re-working existing ones for no obvious
> improvement. This is even more pronounced with opportunistic developers
> who may have a day job besides their Ubuntu apps and may not have the
> time to spend on learning a new library and API every 6 months.

Well, I'm not sure about what Fagan is referring too, but we didn't
change the technology from the start of Quickly in the
ubuntu-application templates and derivatives.

This has been python/desktopcouch/python-gtk and we added
apport/launchpadlib one month ago to new projects, but didn't require
any change on user side.

Cheers,
Didier