brainstorming for UDS-N - Graphics

Christopher James Halse Rogers raof at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 4 02:49:42 BST 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 00:28 +0100, Allison Randal wrote:
> On 30/09/10 18:17, Shane Fagan wrote:
> > I dont know if this is quite on topic for this one but 3d support in
> > Ubuntu? It would be kinda interesting to explore what we can do in this
> > space.
>
> Could you elaborate? I'm guessing that you mean support for
> stereoscopic, multi-view, "pop off the screen", etc. display of 3D
> video/games (and some of the new hardware targeting that form of
> display), rather than traditional "3D object rendering" along the lines
> of OpenGL.

Interestingly, OpenGL has support for this kind of rendering baked in
(for example there are actually *two* front buffers - front_left and
front_right).  I've no idea what level Mesa's support for this is,
though.  The last time I put on the stroboscopic glasses and played with
some stereoscopic GL was in the last decade :).