Brainstorming for UDS-N - Edubuntu

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 4 00:46:01 BST 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 12:44 -0400, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
> Hi Ubuntu Developers
>
> (snip original very, very long e-mail about Edubuntu originally typed)
>
> Here are some ideas we've been discussing in Edubuntu for Natty and
> Natty+1. They probably won't fit in to one single Ubuntu track, so I
> opened a new thread on this list (hope that's ok). They aren't all
> intended to be implemented and some ideas will most certainly require a
> lot of planning and discussion.
>
> We've never had a shortage of ideas before, usually just a shortage of
> people to implement them. Having said that, additional ideas are always
> welcome and this list will probably grow a bit in the lead-up to UDS.
>
> === Installer ===
>
>  * More options for desktop environments
>  * More LTSP options for LTSP options screen
>  * Fix delays caused in installer by installing almost all available
> Ubuntu language packs, then removing almost all of them again except for
> the one that the user chose
>  * New Ubiquity slideshow
>
> === Edubuntu Server ===
>
>  * Create meta-package that could be used on ubuntu-server that installs
> and if possible, configures edu-webapps
>  * Test latest moodle packaging efforts done in Debian and sync
>  * Assist Schooltool team early in release to get final remaining Zope
> dependencies in the archives
>  * Take a new look at central authentication in Ubuntu and how it can be
> simplified, in particular the work done by Opensys
>  * Investigate other potential server side apps and tools and find a
> better way to deliver them (web apps are a pain)
>
> == Edubuntu Artwork ===
>
>  * Update the breathe-icon-theme to remove old (brown) Ubuntu references
> and make it more modern, make panel icons more appropriate and in line
> with Ubuntu artwork, while maintaining some playfulness
>  * Refresh Edubuntu colours and update GTK theme, plymouth theme, GDM
> login, etc to be more consistent, fix current artwork bugs
>
> == Edubuntu Documentation ==
>
>  * Edubuntu 11.04 installation guide, release notes, release announcement
>  * Edubuntu LTSP Tips and Tricks Document
>  * "Glue documentation" between upstream documentation for Edubuntu for
> tools such as Pessulus, Sabayon, iTalc, Nanny, etc. Explain Edubuntu
> specific differences.
>  * More instructional videos on YouTube, make better use of the awesome
> YouTube community that have already created a bunch of screencasts,
> feature videos on website/planet.
>
> == Edubuntu Desktop ==
>
>  * Zeitgeist admin integration, allow administrators to get summaries of
> what users have been up to
>  * Qimo Gnome session with desktop-profiles
>  * Sugar session
>  * Remove ltsp-live from menus and add it to boot options when choosing
> installer-only/gnome-session
>
> == Edubuntu Meta ===
>
>  * Possibly include one or more of the following: pencil, geogebra,
> pdfmod, new italc, openspell [needs-packaging], calibre, freeciv,
> [...]

I registered the blueprints for these basically splitting all that in 3
sessions:

Edubuntu seed review:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/edubuntu-n-seed-review

Edubuntu installer improvements:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/edubuntu-n-installer-improvements

Edubuntu community:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/edubuntu-n-community

Everything else should be non-edubuntu specific and will be discussing
in regular "ubuntu" sessions.

Feel free to subscribe/improve.

--
Stéphane Graber